Saturday, February 19, 2005

Is life fair ?

"to live is Christ, to die is gain"

I had an interesting conversation with my wife this week. We were diligence about when we get tired and the issue of "Is that fair?" comes up. I had to clean the house this week and you didn't have time to help, was that fair? I realized "Is that fair?" is not a question a Christian asks. The more appropriate questions is "God, What is your will in this?" When I ask is that fair, what I'm really saying is "Is this a fair deal for me ?"

Just because something isn't fair doesn't mean it isn't right. To serve another is not a fair thing, but it is a right thing. To bless your enemies doesn't seem fair, but it is right. To forgive doesn't seem fair, but in God's economy it is right. In this life I pray I will die to my expectations of fairness and embrace what is right: serving God which translates as Christ living through us.

And right isn't always fair. It wasn't fair that Jesus had to die and take the burden of the sins of the world upon himself. It wasn't fair that God has mercy on me even though I demean His holiness by my sin.

No comments: