Saturday, May 17, 2008

Remembering Process

It is interesting to look back and see how God develops areas of your life. I had a friend recently comment on my facebook blog about a time when I was in college where myself and three other guys took a whole evening and spent time in worship and prayer. This is a reflection of the furthering of that journey.

My worship journey began in the early 80's.

In the early 80's when at Tech I began to develop a love for intimate worship. Much of this was because in an atmosphere of worship and prayer is where I began to encounter the presence of God. This happened primarily in home bible studies with other college students in my college years. After college I was able to attend some churches where being open to the Holy Spirit in an atmosphere of worship was a primary focus.

In college I began listening to Hosanna type worship stuff. Songs were coming out of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. Then in the later 80's I began to enjoy much of the CFNI (Christ for the nations worship). In the early 90's I went out to Los Angeles to work on my MDiv at Fuller seminary and started running into alot of Vineyard people. My wife and I ended up at Vineyard Christian Fellowship when John Wimber was there and the music as well as the presence of God through the Holy Spirit was very strong. Worship leaders like Andy Park, Eddie Espinosa, David Ruis and Larry Hampton became common place for us. Vineyards paradigm was for worship to be horizontal. John Wimber wanted people to sing directly to God not about God. The Vineyard recognized that intimacy was directly related to people singing straight to God.

There seem to be so many streams of worship these days. There is integrity music, Vineyard stuff, the Passion worship leaders, Hillsong, Desperation Band, all the worship leaders at International House of Prayer and countless others.

No comments: