Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Harvest festival to remember ?

Sunday night we took the kids to a Harvest festival at Covenant church. October 31st should be a fun time for kids, at least in my mind that is what should happen. Most of it was fun, but as Callie and Ethan went into one of those giant air play grounds, I noticed the 30 foot muscle man full of air began to fall on his side. No official announcement, no organized retreat, just a ton of people yelling "Get out, it's going down". Well I found Ethan in the back of the thing but couldn't find Callie. Finally when I did locate her, she was pretty shaken, not knowing how to get out of this sagging giant play ground that had turned into a horror movie for her.

Although I love the people of traditional churches, I wonder if our Harvest night fiasco wasn't a great picture of traditional church in America. It is supposed to be fun, with everything a good Christian would want, but inside it is losingground with the culture and not fulfilling the purpose it origionally had.

Well anyway, a couple of times bowling for candy and then getting to eat a huge cotton candy salvaged the night. I also appreciated some of the people of the community as they dressed up as various Bible characters and went around dialoguing with the kids. I could tell they really had a heart for the kids.

No comments: