Monday, June 16, 2003

Not religious stuff but THE REAL THING

My definition of religion is doing religious stuff but having no life, or love, or fun involved. Religion is stuffy and boring. I've know religious people in my life that reminded me of the Hulk when he gets angry. They are steeped in the art of intimidation to those who don't fit into small religious expectations. These folks and places pursue making others feel small.

Jesus really didn't like religious people. He said they were polished on the outside and a mess on the inside. This seems to be a challenge for us all, not to put on the polish that will win us kudos with other people, but to be who we really are.

I was in Tampa Florida this week for a church planters training. I saw things there that really appealed to me. There were a group of trainers who didn't expect to be treated as celebrities, but actually swept floors and helped move chairs after the teaching times. That says to me they weren't there for the kudos from those they taught or really those who they facilitated, but were there because of an inner relationship and conviction about planting churches. Those are examples I look forward to imitating.

No comments: