Monday, March 14, 2005

In Him we live

I just got back from a conference at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I can not think of a place on the planet I would have rather been this weekend. What a privilege to get to spend three days of just hanging out with your best friend who also happens to be the Majestic King of the Universe.

How that happens I don't know. How Jesus can be so personal with us and allow us to encounter Him as friend and at the same time be the Lion of the Tribe of Judah who has a fierce roar and will one day come and judge the nations. I just don't get that. But I am still excited that His grace and kindness extends toward me.

For three days the Lord has visited me and allowed me to encounter Him afresh. I have experienced His peace, I have heard His challenge me about the dullness of my heart toward Him and I have been encouraged as His son.

I will be writing more about specifics here.

Today's prayer

I hunger and thirst for You the living God
Show me more of Your heart
Expose the dullness of my own heart

I cry out for more

More of Jesus
Allow me to Encounter this man Christ Jesus
Allow me to be exposed to His glory

Come Lord, Come Lord
in me

2 comments:

loren said...

Hi Berry,

Welcome home! We watched the DVD you gave us when you passed through Tulsa, very interesting; I think I've found another pilgrim on the same journey.

One thought you've raised is similar to a question that Nancy recently raised. How can Jesus be so loving and so ferocious (Lion of the Tribe of Judah)? Two thoughts:

First, we sometimes see hard things in Scripture or even in life, for example, when God allows children to die. We simply don't have an answer when this happens.

God reserves some things to Himself and I think He purposely does not explain these things to us because He does not want us to try to emulate Him in those areas. He holds the keys of death, for example, so He handles this sort of thing Himself and doe snot enlighten us. But I'm also talking about 'vengeance belongs to Me' type situations.

Secind: God's fury is another strange thing to so many Christians, and that is rightly so. Since we have been reconciled by the blood of Jesus, He has not shown us His fury; He has only shown us His love.

In a similar way, a shepherd is kind to his sheep and gently leads those with young. But when a wolf came, he lits into it with fury. Same person! Same reason. He loves the sheep.

Thoughts?

Berry said...

You make some good points Loren. God is like that shepherd who is both gentle and at times forocious. It seems God's protects truth even to the point of contending earnestly for it.

I was looking today at Jude 1:3 and in Jude 1:3 the word contend is a word used in athletics for one who competes. it speaks of a vigorous, determined struggle, to defeat the enemy.

If our Father is love and His character is made of love. I can see why He would become a ferocious protector of His children and of His own character love. He understands the value and importance of keeping love pure.

This is seen in Christ in the temple and is our example of character. To contend, to be vigorous in our struggle against any enemy that would come against this perfectly pure love which is in Him.