Friday, April 09, 2004

:: Adventures in real life: The Mountain Lion

Last Friday the kids and I went to a nature preserve in Plano to get out of the house and give mom some quiet time. The kids love getting out and seeing your everyday average nature preserve stuff such as butterflies, ducks, various trees and flowers etc. Friday was an unexpected discovery. We had decided to take one of the smaller rabbit trails into the woods.

We walked half a mile and hit a fence row. This was a natural point to go back. I was explaining something to the kids, I turned to head back the way we had come and there is a mountain lion about 10 yards behind us. And he was looking right at us. Now, I don't know about you, but having a mountain lion in your path looking right at you 10 yards away doesn't give you the most secure feeling in the world. I kept telling my brain to be cool and think and of course lifted up one of those great theological prayers I've learned in all my years as a Christian. It went something like "Help, God!".

I told the kids just to be still and I reached over to break a branch I could use as a big stick. When the branch broke the Mountain Lion jumped and took off about 20 yards off the beaten trial. With my trusty stick in hand I had the kids take off down the trail as I kept myself between them and the Moutain Lion. The cool part of this story is I had my 35 mm carmera with me and got two shots of this cat. I can't wait to develop them.

Needless to say the kids will remember this adventure as will I. I think living for Christ is like this. You encounter situations in life that are new and you are not sure how to navigate them. I think "Help me, God" may be a wise prayer to pray in many of those.

No comments: