Thursday, April 15, 2004

:: Reality of angels and demons

My daughter recently asked me about angels? It perked my interest. I gave Callie a book written by Billy Graham I had at the house to read. After she read it I glanced through also. Sometimes I forget we are in a spiritual battle here. Peter reminds us that we are strangers and aliens on this planet. There our existence and identity is now in the kingdom of God. We are a holy nation, a royal priesthood, a people to set forth the praises of God. I forget it is the spiritual realm that is a greater reality than the physical realm I see and feel everyday. The matrix is a great metaphor for the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God and the spiritual realm is the greater reality but our senses are more aware of what we can taste, touch, feel, hear, and see.

I was thinking of Jesus conversation with Nathaniel in John gospel. Nathaniel is amazed that Jesus knew things about him that were not physically possible. Jesus reply to Nathaniel was that he would see even greater things than this. He would see the angels ascending and descending upon Jesus. Jesus had that deeper sense of reality. He knew all around us their are real angles that are sent here to the earth to be about God's business, to help prayers get fulfilled, to help in the work of the church being the extenders of God's kingdom here. There is also the reality of evil beings the bible refers to as demons. Paul tells us we wrestle with these evil beings.

Another encounter I had this week makes this conversation more pertinent to me. I woke up from a dream Tuesday night and had a powerful sense of fear upon me. It wouldn't leave. I am not someone who encounters fear often in my own life in that way. I am convinced this was an attack from within this spiritual matrix we live in.

I am reminded this week. Prayer is not just a duty like taking out the trash that has to be done. It is a real spiritual communication with our Father that influences spiritual forces around us. I encourage all of us to press in to prayer like lives depend on it. They do.

No comments: