Thursday, April 15, 2004

:: Spiritual Travel

Remember your first car? You couldn't wait to partner with a piece of metal and become free. In your own vehicle you can go places on your own, you can put "your" music in the CD player. I attribute my hair loss to the music I had to listen to in my parents car.

It is a bit ironic to me that I couldn't wait to get a car and get my freedom to go and do and then I chose to drive round and round in circles on Friday and Saturday nights at the local drag. Okay, you got me, I am a small town guy. We played six man football in high school. We were so small that we had football players take off their shoulder pads at half time and march in the band (I'm serious).

Having a car released you into a new world of adventure. The journey of life took on new meaning. The adventure quotient multiplied as did learning boundaries. In a way the early church was like that. They were waiting for something new to happen in Jerusalem. Jesus had told them to stay there and pray until they had a supernatural splash from heaven. In Acts 2 we see the creation of a vehicle called the church. Jesus was no longer there to partner with them in bringing the kingdom of God forth on the earth. Now God sends another helper, the Holy Spirit, to partner with them.

Some of the characteristics of this new instrument of the Christian journey called the church were: It was a community fueled by the Holy Spirit, It was a community centered in learning the Word, It was a community encouraged by fellowship, It was a community that communicated with God, and it was a community that was living evidence of the kingdom to the rest of the world.

We travel this Christian journey in this life riding in the vehicle of the church. Just as with a new car we better understand the equipment this new car has so that the journey can be a good one.

No comments: