Monday, May 12, 2003

Failure

Do you ever feel like your a failure at being a GOOD Christian?


For some reason lately I've been wrestling with my "got it pretty easy American Christian life". It doesn't mean I don't struggle and just cruise through life. But I honestly wonder if we (the American church) are really living the life. I think my bottom line question is "What does God think of me as I live my life for Him?"


I found a bit of the answer I was looking for today in an e-mail reply from a friend. We were discussing a page written by Tony Campolo and I was telling my friend Shane about this issue. A portion of his reply said:


"Regarding Your comments about what i wrote, Yea - i agree that the main push of the article was about Jesus' integrity and character that was/is so like the Father's. Is there anything better than that besides the fact that He Loves us?


i totally agree about the U.S. and the living status of Christians here, too. We do have it good, but that to me is not anything bad. In my opinion, God never blames us for where He puts us. i do think, however, that He always holds us accountable for our stewardship of the positions, gifts, wealth, talents, status, influence, and health that He gives us. i am just now in my Life beginning to grasp how much i have been given and how much i am a steward of for God. Accordingly, i am just now beginning to learn how to humbly walk in His Mercy & Grace in order to be that good steward and good administrator of those things He has put in my trust. i am really blown away by that whole concept. So to me, the struggle i have is not so much the struggle of many Westerners about whether i deserve what i have or not or whether i should spend any time feeling guilty about my ____ level - my struggle is how to be a faithful steward of stuff of which i'm pretty convinced i don't deserve any. How can i be a good steward - which to me inherently includes the Jesus kind of selflessness."



That's all I needed for today, a little assurance that it is ok to live in American and try to walk the walk in the place I am in. I still want to pursue the life Christ is leading me to live and do just that, but there is peace that maybe He put me right where I am at to fulfill enlarging His kingdom as a "got it pretty easy American Christian".


Continue to lead us Father into your best. Its all about you.

No comments: