Saturday, May 10, 2003

Keep Unlearning

The Gallup strengthsfinder test identifies a persons top 5 strengths. The twenty something dollar book is worth getting. My top strength according to Gallup is learning. This is coming in handy in this process of church planting. There is a lot to learn. I have found that learning includes unlearning the incorrect learning we have. For all of us life is a journey of learning and unlearning. When we stop learning, we stop growing, and become stale and bored with life. It's very much like that as a Christ follower. To walk forward following Jesus is a life long learning and unlearning journey. When you stop learning and unlearning about Him you become bored and all the sudden earthly things become more appealing than heavenly things. I am trying now to learn and unlearn about planting a church.

I even hesitate to use the word church since that word is so worn out in our present society. So, I guess I'll be planting a community of Christ followers in North Dallas called Resonance.

This weekend, I was able to spend some time with Tom Wymore. Tom has helped write the Church Planting curriculum for the Foursquare Church. Tom pastors in Midland Texas and also heads up the Foursquare organization in West Texas. I enjoyed talking through different aspects of approaching the plant we will be doing in Carrollton. Not only has Tom written on church planting, He had been the lead pastor on a church plant in Austin Texas. Mentoring is important to me. Not so much formal mentoring but mentoring that comes relationally I find really rewarding.
.

No comments: