Friday, September 26, 2003

:: Truth, is it all about rationality?

I've begun to think about the theology of truth a bit lately. Our modern world would have us say, truth is in what we can rationally prove or understand. Postmoderns tend to base their truth on experience. I'm thinking of a paradigm that is much more holistic. It includes our whole being, our understanding, our feelings, our experiences, etc. I think that fits better our pursuing truth.

And even beyond a holistic view of truth in us, isn't truth found in a paradigm of the kingdom of God. Jesus said "seek first the kingdom of God. . . " truth is found in our connectedness to this kingdom, more specifically to our connectedness to the king of the kingdom. It is not found in Christiandom by counting nickels and noses and saying we have more of those so we have a handle on the truth.

I'm not sure exactly how we measure connectedness to the kingdom. I think part of it is on a servanthood scale. How are we serving our king? How, through connectedness to Him are we serving our fellow humanity? How are we being connected to our king and His kingdom?

Just some thoughts that I don't have fully worked out and may never have worked out, but I am on the journey.

I think that would be my question to all of us. Are we on the journey?

No comments: