Monday, May 17, 2004

:: 40 year anniversary

I attended Trinity churches 40th anniversary in Lubbock, Texas this past weekend. It was a long short trip but worth it. We traveled for six hours on Friday, arrived in Lubbock just in time to get ready and went over to a banquet at Trinity. It was good to see many faces of people who we had known.

I still am honored to have been a part of Trinity's heritage and history. Even though I don't consider myself extremely talented in any area, the Lord allowed me to pastor at Trinity. I can remember being 28 years old and being awed at Trinity church, the size, the spirituality. Yet the Lord spoke to my heart and told me one day I would be on staff there, impossible I thought, but if God wills it let it be.

I am not lifting up a church or an institution. What strikes me most is that I have been at Trinity in times of extreme favor when it was blowing and growing and I have been at Trinity in some very rough waters, ie. Church split, layoffs of friends, etc. and in all those times both good and bad the Lord continued to grow me and teach me and encourage me with His presence. My heritage there is clear, it is about God working in me to will and to do what He delights in.

I was reminded that the kingdom of God is alive and well where peoples hearts are directed towards Him. There are so many people who have left Trinity and are in all manner of ministries across the world. Regardless of style, regardless of human immaturities, God works in those whose hearts are turned toward Him.

On a final note as I reflect on the emerging church my heart turns more and more to loving those things that are near and dear to the Lords heart. I think Gods children both old school and new school, both meeting in buildings and meeting at homes, both with solid structures, immature structures, or little to no structures are loved by Him and He looks to bless those whose hearts are turned towards Him. I pray I continue to love those things and people that are near and dear to His heart.

No comments: