Tuesday, May 18, 2004

:: Sunday night

Sunday night we talked about Mary and Martha. In John 11 John tells us that Jesus loved Martha, Mary, and Lazarus. I think sometimes Martha gets bad press for her role in Luke 10. We look down on Martha for not "getting it". People have portrayed Jesus as almost scolding Martha: Martha, Martha will you ever learn. Like an arrogant adult scolds a young child.

I think there was a totally different picture going on there. Martha wasn't being scolded, she was being encouraged by the Lord. Jesus was giving her some training in a loving manner. His statement was more like "Martha this is a really important lesson, No I'm serious it is one of the most important lessons, Mary has chosen the wisest thing to sit at my feet and hear my word."

We talked about how Jesus doesn't deal harshly with our immaturities. Can you imagine a mother that did not enjoy her three year old, even though that three year old has many immaturities and needs training and correction? No that mother enjoys that child even though the immaturities are there. This is Jesus stance towards us and this was His stance with Martha. "Martha I love you, that is why I am trying to get you to see the importance of beholding Me."

We also talked about how beholding is the key to becoming. As we behold Jesus in the truth of who He is we become like Him.

The Lord loves us even in our weaknesses. This is a truth I am only about ankle deep in. I desire to get waist deep in it. I pray that our community will embrace that He is the lover of us even in our weaknesses.

No comments: