Tuesday, December 09, 2003

:: Deconstruction takes work

Derridas ideas about deconstruction are so relevant to the conversation in the emerging church. We have methods, habits, and language that is burned out, so burned out it is becoming useless. So somehow as a new generation finds Christ, we (Christ followers) have to find ways to communicate the authentic gospel and authentic Jesus again. We have to deconstruct what church has become, what love has become, what the whole church culture has become and find a freshness in the reality of being a Christ follower.

About six years ago I began reading and dialoguing with others about postmodernism. I went to some conferences about postmodernism in the church and began to pick up books on the topic especially Len Sweets stuff. I even visited some new communities trying to deconstruct old models and try new ones. There were so many things about postmodernism and how those making this postmodern transition thought that connected with me. It is not like I learned about it and decided to try it. It is more like I learned and realized this fits who I am better than a lot of modern paradigms.

Here is my struggle now. I do believe culture is in a postmodern transition. I think God has called me to be a bridge from modernity to postmodernity. I think God has called me to be a part of communities that are making changes on the journey to become the voice of God in this new evolving culture. Yet now I am seeing the other side of the coin called me. I still have a whole lot to deconstruct. Even though I desire newness and freshness, I am steeped in modern ideas, methods and habits.

I've realized this journey I am on will take work and intentionality if I really want to go there. And then a thought takes me to the reality that all of our journeys with Christ should be like this. Christ in us is deconstructing old ways, old methods of living, old and burned out language. Yes, I need to be intentional about following Christ with all the struggles that are inherit with that journey. The cool thing is, there are a ton of real people who are on the journey with me.

I embrace the journey of deconstructing and letting Christ reconstruct in me.

No comments: