Friday, December 05, 2003

:: Slammed

Have you ever been in a football game and gotten blindsided. It basically happens when you are runnnig one way and right as you change directions some other drooling player from the opposing team hits you. Usually because its not expected and you are not preparing to be hit, this tenancious maneuver puts you on your backside feeling like you were just in a car wreck. When this happens you spit the dirt out of your mouth, pull the grass out of your facemask, and check to make sure there are no major body parts missing or severely damaged. Then you fight back the pain and try to look tough because your playing football and everybody knows football players are tough. And if the other player smacked you good, your breath has mysteriously gone out of your body and can not be found momentarily. You have to wait for that breath to mysteriously come back.

That is what yesterday afternoon felt like to me. Emotionally it was like somebody blindsided me. It came out of the blue and knocked my breath away. For about eight hours I tried to find my spiritual breath and emotional strength and found it not. I can't help but wonder if this was spiritual warfare. I have been reminded today that prayer is not just about me and God having a great relationship. Prayer is about being prepared for the slams of the enemy. Reading Gods word is not to learn about what not to do, but as a preventative for the hurdles of life that come our way. I was reminded today that there is no cruising in this Christian life. No, I'm not saying you can't have fun. I am saying that not seeing the seriousness of the cosmic battle going on for men and women is a grave undersight.

Lord, we are strangers and aliens here. Help us to have a divine perspective. Our existence on the earth is about extending your rule and reign. Continue to remind us who we are and why were here.

No comments: