Monday, March 01, 2004

:: the Passion

1 Cor 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

A group of us went to see the passion of Christ last night. I had a variety of expectations from reading internet articles, seeing Mel Gibsons interview with Diane Sawyer and hearing personal experiences of the movie. I'll have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
For me the movie met my expectations and went beyond. I was moved by the artistry of the script and filming. I thought characters fit their roles well. Mary the mother, Mary Magdalene, John, Peter, Judas, Pilate, Simon the Cyrenian, Satan, and Jesus all fit the part well.

For me this movie wasn't an experience of evaluation it was an experience of expanding my own heart in knowing about my Lord. Stories from the bible came to life for me. Color was added to what seemed like black and white words. I have a much better understanding of how all the events of that last day transpired and were woven together.

I was moved to tears as Mary flashes back to a scene of her running to help the boy Yeshua who has fallen and from that gets the courage to run to Jesus and tell him she was there by him. My heart was stirred by Simon the Cyrenian who unwillingly gets nominated to help Jesus carry the cross and on the short journey is impacted. I wondered if I am willing to help Jesus carry his cross in the world today?

I was touched deeply by the Passion of Christ. I pray God will continue to draw my own mind from the many distractions of living in this world and to the world where the mystery of God has been shown in the Son of God being willing to suffer incredible humiliation, pain and worst of all separation from his own Father for me and all those around me.

Looking back on the film I relate with the second thief on the cross who said: " . . . for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong. Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." I recognize that justice says I die for my sins, yet a man who has done nothing wrong died in my place so that I could come into the kingdom of He and His father.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.

No comments: