Monday, January 12, 2004

:: mission - community - mayhem

mission . community . mayhem was a conference for the emerging church held in the midwest. Take a look a some of the conversation on Jeremiah Smiths weblog.

Here is a statement from Brian McClaren at the conference:

I became a Christian in the Jesus movement days. I’ve come to know a lot of Jesuses through the years. A Calvinist Jesus. A TV preacher Jesus. A Pentecostal Jesus. A CBN Jesus. A big Republican Jesus. I haven’t seen a democratic Jesus in a while As a kid I remember the picture of Jesus embracing all the different kinds of kids (Black, Asian, Native American, etc.) I feel like as an adult I’m trying to learn who that Jesus is. Ever feel like you need to unlearn about 2/3 of what you know? I’d like to start a new movement called Fundamentalism. There are only two fundamentals. Love God and Love your neighbor.


Wow, what a statement? What if these two fundamentals became our ecclesiology, our doctrinal statement and were what all our values were centered around?

No comments: