Tuesday, February 24, 2004

:: Deeper and deeper still

As I think of Christianity in our culture and even of my own walk with can't help but wonder if all of us are not incredibly indoctrinated as consumers. I learn about grace one day and I am off to learn about something else the next. We have a four week sermon series on love and expect to have a proper grasp on the concept. How crazy is that. We always want to grow wider but we forget to go deeper. I want to get to know something of God well rather than knowing a whole lot a little bit.

What if . . . What if we are supposed to learn about one subject for years or a lifetime. I heard Mike Bickle talk about studying a book of the bible. He talked of people who had studied one book 20+ years then began to grasp what the book was about. I was talking to a friend from Lubbock Texas today and was reminded that we need to go deeper in what we know not broader in knowing more. Some concepts I could spend a lot of time on in going deeper is God's love, God's grace, what community really is in this walk. What is the kingdom of God really? No, not a one sentence answer that has been programmed in us like a catchy McDonald's commercial. But really what are the heights and the depths of the kingdom of God.

God, take us deeper in Christ and knowing Him that in that depth He is made known.

No comments: