Friday, February 06, 2004

:: Stories better than Hollywood

As a young man I can remember a particular night that in my heart I made a commitment to follow Christ. It was in a little Baptist church in small town Texas. There was an Irish evangelist that was telling Gods story that night. I remember praying God let me return the favor someday. Two summers ago our outreach pastor invited me to help him lead a trip to Ireland to encourage a church planting team. He asked me to speak on our Sunday there. I thanked the Irish people for sending someone to tell me Jesus story.

I share this because it is my story. The story that God tells through us in Christ is beyond what any Hollywood movie can come up with. There is adventure, drama, beauty, pain, trial, tears, laughter, mystery, surprise endings, this list is endless. I have been thinking of the community of faith lately and wonder if it doesn't boil down to a gathering of people who are bringing the story of Christ to light. We are testifying with our mouths, with our actions, with our lives about our great God and the good news of him loving us so much He stepped down into our existence so we could understand the story of Him better.

No comments: