Tuesday, February 17, 2004

:: walking on water, can it be done?

I was at a lunch today with a group of foursquare pastors. A bit after lunch they began to tell stories they had heard from others that cracked me up.

Story 1:
Roy Burris Senior was coming out of a couple of day fasting and prayer time where he had really sought the Lord. I guess he was thinking his faith was pretty strong. He looked off in the distance and saw a dock, with his faith being so stirred, he thought "I think I can walk on water". So off he went walking down that dock and off onto the water. Only he went right under, water engulfed all around him. As his head came above the water, he thought "at least I had the faith to try".

I totally cracked up at that.

Story 2:
A group of old time pentecostals had gone up into the mountains to pray. It was a particularly cold season as they were there. In the cabin they were staying in was a wood burning furnace. One of those with the latch door on the front. Somehow one of them said "I have the faith to touch that hot furnace, so he would go by and slap it. So far, so good. One ole boy decided "I have the faith to stick my head in the furnace." He kept looking at that furnace. In a minute one of the slaps popped the door open and this fellow says "I'm gonna do it". So he runs over and sticks his head in the furnace, only to come right back out with his hair on fire.

Man, I really laughed at that one. I have this odd "that was just crazy" and at the same time "a respect for their zeal"

CAUTION: .................Please do not try these tricks at home..................

No comments: